"Free app" apps?
EPPack
2013-08-21 12:25:30 UTC
Saw these in another list:

http://featurepoints.com/web/
http://www.freemyapps.com/
http://www.getjar.com/

And I know there are others. Basically you "try" apps by installing
THEIR app and earn points or whatever to get other presumably paid
apps. Are these things for real? Safe? Worth bothering with? You know
what they say about something being "too good to be true". Or "you
get what you pay for" :)

TIA

elaine

-----
Elaine Pack
Ivy, VA
Samsung Galaxy S III 4.1.2
HTC Evo 4G 2.3.5
Chris
2013-08-22 23:05:22 UTC
Post by EPPack
http://featurepoints.com/web/
http://www.freemyapps.com/
http://www.getjar.com/
And I know there are others. Basically you "try" apps by installing THEIR
app and earn points or whatever to get other presumably paid apps. Are
these things for real? Safe? Worth bothering with? You know what they say
about something being "too good to be true". Or "you get what you pay for"
:)
If you want to be "safe", your best bet may be to stick with google play
and the amazon storefront. Only install programs that seem to have at
least several apparently honest reviews from real users. If you want to
install something without substantial reviewer feedback, check for other
programs from the same company or see if they have a website or forum; then
make a judgement call. Installing random junk to get other random junk for
free will probably impact device performance negatively at best -- and
leave you with malicious software at worst. You can never be completely
safe, but you can avoid bad decisions. What you describe above would
probably qualify for the later in my opinion. I can also find a lot of
people that would tell you my opinion is worth about as much as a computer
virus, so YMMV. :-)

Also, you can still (I think) find a fairly active android user forum on
Yahoo Groups or at xda-developers.com. Just in case you didn't realize it,
you will mostly find discussion from developers here on this list.

Best,
CB
Post by EPPack
TIA