3 ICS Non-root Adblocking Options (also accept alternatives)
J_L
2013-08-26 08:27:43 UTC
Update:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/mobile/0L6tZhoJl2k
And I'm using Android 4.1.2 now, latest official firmware for GT-N7000.
In my experience, the best and most stable way of doing this is via a
custom DNS. Unfortunately, you cannot keep the IP DHCP when you've set both
that and the DNS as Static. That shouldn't be too much of a problem with a
configured router. Also, SIM doesn't work without rooting. I used Opera
Mobile, Onavo, and Wi-Fi Finder when I had a data-only plan, but not
anymore. Fortunately, there is a free service that specializes in blocking
advertising and phishing called FoolDNS. Whether you trust them or not is
up to you. I wouldn't bother with any serious data being stored in a phone
anyways, especially with SIM and WiFi capability.
Next, there's the Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox Mobile. Although it
worked fine, I couldn't get used to Firefox being a Dolphin HD user. The
interface is just so lacking in comparison.
Lastly, there is Adblock Android. I do not recommend it, because it didn't
work for my SIM at all, and was sketchy with WiFi. I didn't even know how
to set it up for WiFi when I was a newbie. On pages that ads were blocked
on (after importing EasyList+EasyPrivacy), it made my browser continuously
load. I notice that may be a Dolphin problem, but it's a major one
nonetheless. I don't think any flash ads were blocked.
What websites did I use to test this? Some of my regular visits, and this
proxy with heavy advertising called vtunnel.com (to test FP's [and the
HTTPS version actually worked in China]). Anyways, I welcome all current
alternatives *without* rooting the device.
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note if that helps, and very technically within
it w/o sudo or UAC. I will definitely root it after the last official
firmware, or if they really screwed things up (as well as ignoring next
major release), install custom firmware.
https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about
P.P.S. I know Google loves and depends on advertising, but I have no
loyalty towards their profit without mine.
J_L
2013-08-26 08:29:02 UTC
Now using official 4.1.2 on GT-N7000. Update:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/mobile/0L6tZhoJl2k