promoting android apps with youtube video?
Eniko Laszlo
2011-10-26 07:06:33 UTC
Hey Guys,
I was wandering if anyone of you had some experience with promoting
your Android app with a Youtube trailer video?
Does it help in revenue growth?
We have just published our video for Call Reminder Notes:

Do you consider it as having the potential of becoming viral?
Feell free to advise.

Thanks,
Eniko Laszlo
Nathan
2011-10-26 16:42:52 UTC
Excellent question.

There are whole websites, online training, and conferences on video
marketing. I plan to talk about it November 7th at AnDevCon.

I am very much in favor of video marketing for apps. I've barely
scratched the surface of it myself. Make one video a week, if
possible.

Here are a few tips:
1. The number 2 search engine in the world is not Bing, its YouTube.
Since it is a search engine, keywords are very important. Put
particular keywords that are valuable to your app in your title,
description and keywords. On your next video, you can put in different
keywords.
2. Being viral is nice but it is extremely rare. You shouldn't count
on being viral nor give up if your video doesn't go viral. Video
marketing is worthwhile if you reach your target market and make
people aware of our app that otherwise weren't. Or get existing users
or prospects excited about your app and to share it with others.
3. My videos that are featured on my app listing have gotten thousands
more views than those that haven't been. For that reason, you might
think of cycling some of your videos through that page, to give them a
jumpstart.
4. YouTube is a social network. Look into a product called
TubeToolBox. There are others, but this one I trust. It is like a semi
automated friend finder for YouTube. You can find targeted groups of
people to share your video with, encourage to be your "friend", or
subscribe to your channel.
5. Maximize N0. Consider N0 to be the first set of people to see your
video. N1 is the people who see it after being referred. For a truly
viral video, N1 > N0, but for most N1<< N0. Make N0 as big as
possible. For example, send it to the thousands of people on your
app's email newsletter, facebook page, etc. Tell them to like it,
share it, comment, etc.

Nathan
We have just published our video for Call Reminder http://youtu.be/D8K5d0AgFqY
keyeslabs
2012-02-24 17:16:15 UTC
I've had excellent success with this. For both Screebl
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keyes.screebl.full) and CrazyCat
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keyes.crazycat.androidmarket), I
created a simple introduction video that explained the app and got the user
engaged quickly. The Screebl video has been viewed over 200,000 times.
The things that I think are most important for success:

1. Make the video interesting. I got a lot of people curious right off the
bat by shooting the video for this app in the forest. I get a lot of
hilarious comments about the setting, but I really think it keeps people
engaged longer than they might be otherwise.
2. Offer the user the option to view the video IN THE APP, early in their
experience. I pop up a dialog on first open, telling the user that there
is a video available that explains the app, and asking if they want to view
it. I also make it available from the main menu.
3. Offer users the ability to share the video socially, from within the app.
4. Include a video feed in the app. I also have the app check once a week
or so for new YouTube videos on a special playlist that I created. If I
post a new video to the playlist, users will be notified and offered the
option to view the video. I'm going to be using this feature for the first
time in the next week or so to send out a video to 250,000 active Screebl
Lite users offering them an option to upgrade to a new version of Pro,
discounted for a limited time. I of course give users the option to
disable the video feed check.

Good luck!
Mike Wolfson
2012-02-24 21:23:26 UTC
These are really great suggestions, thanks for posting them.

I really want to get a YouTube video for my app, for the sole reason that
it improves your search ranking. I think it is important to have something
posted, regardless of how great it is, just so it is in the indexes. If
you can do something engaging, that drives people to your app, that is a
bonus.

I hadn't thought about using the video as embedded training, which is
brilliant (and won't require me to change my script, which is basically
stepping through all the different features of the app anyway).

-Mike
Mike Wolfson
2013-05-20 22:18:25 UTC
Well, 14 months after I posted this originally, I finally have my magnum
opus Video for my app ready.

Unfortunately, a lot of great stuff was left on the editing room floor (the
helicopter explosion, the touching moment between Merryl Street, and Jack
Nicholson, the claymation scene narrated by James Earl Jones). I kept it
to under 90 seconds, which I think is a good length. I hope it tells the
story (give me feedback and let me know).

While I haven't seen a drastic uptick in downloads because of the video, I
am happy to have that piece of my marketing done. I did it using Prezi,
and it was actually pretty easy to complete (not sure what took me so long).

If you want to +1 it, I wouldn't mind ;-) So far, I have one comment:
"Wat da?"

TreKing
2013-05-20 23:45:39 UTC
I hope it tells the story (give me feedback and let me know).
Nice video. Reminds me I need to redo mine. Some feedback:

1 - The very first screen has several lines of text but is only on screen
for about 1 second. Maybe I'm slow, but I couldn't read that fast. Consider
leaving that up a second or two longer.
2 - Ironically, I didn't see much of the actual app itself. And when I did,
they were small images. It's a *video* - I'd expect to see the app in
action to coincide with whatever you're describing.
3 - I found the music very distracting. My brain is trying to read the text
on the screen while also trying to listen to and process the lyrics of the
song that's playing. I would recommend lowering the volume significantly or
switching to something that's just music and no lyrics.

I'm definitely no video or marketing expert - just some food for thought
from a user's / viewer's perspective.

Mark Carter
2013-05-21 01:37:36 UTC
I would second TreKing's three points and also add that I felt the page
transitions looked rather dated, distracting and unnecessary. I would
prefer a simple fade-out/fade-in, or if you want it more punchy, maybe
slide out to left each time.

On a related note - these days, what is the best way to do a video showing
the app itself in action? I don't want to use a video camera!
Brian Conrad

TreKing
2013-05-21 02:47:11 UTC
Post by Mark Carter
On a related note - these days, what is the best way to do a video showing
the app itself in action? I don't want to use a video camera!
I used this thing, also with an emulator.

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

Jayu Sagar
2013-05-21 05:51:21 UTC
Hi,

I found the following website useful for promotion.

www.powtoon.com

Regards,
Jayanand
bob
2013-05-21 14:24:43 UTC
I use this thing for recording along with a Visual Land tablet with HDMI
out:

I got the recorder at Best Buy and the tablet at Fry's.

Thanks.
.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
Mike Wolfson
2013-05-21 23:19:43 UTC
I actually use BBQScreen, which will screencast your device onto your
computer. It would be a good way to show this. Requires Root, and I think
works best on the Nexus4 only.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bbqdroid.bbqscreen

I am wondering if you want to build numbers for a video. In other words,
if I switch out the video, if I start over with my view counts (and have to
come back to this forum begging for more views for my new one ;-) ).

In the app world, I think I would want to maintain the highest download
counts.

I guess my current video is a bit too fancy. Hopefully it doesn't take
another 18 months for the sequel (we are in negotiations with Dicaprio to
play me, so have to see how that goes before we can commit to a release
date).

Thanks for the feedback.
-M
Nathan
2013-05-24 18:44:27 UTC
Post by Mike Wolfson
I guess my current video is a bit too fancy. Hopefully it doesn't take
another 18 months for the sequel (we are in negotiations with Dicaprio to
play me, so have to see how that goes before we can commit to a release
date).
It's not on YouTube, but I've had an offer for Nicholas Cage to use my
product in a major motion picture. He'll use my app to land the plane after
the pilot has disappeared from a commercial airliner. and the navigation
system is out. Whether someone could actually do with my app is kinda
irrelevant, since Boeing has already stated that it would be impossible for
one person to land the plane anyway.

Of course, they wanted a solid five figures for the brand placement so I
haven't taken up their offer yet.

Nathan
Nathan
2013-05-24 21:46:22 UTC
Post by Mike Wolfson
I actually use BBQScreen, which will screencast your device onto your
computer. It would be a good way to show this. Requires Root, and I think
works best on the Nexus4 only.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bbqdroid.bbqscreen
I am wondering if you want to build numbers for a video.
It helps if you are trying to be found in YouTube search. Though I am not
sure what keywords you are trying to be found for. Give that some thought,
and you can probably get some traffic from the video.
Post by Mike Wolfson
In other words, if I switch out the video, if I start over with my view
counts
Just add new ones as you have them. Don't worry about getting rid of the
old ones. Although there are some old ones I am embarrassed by, I haven't
taken them down as I get some traffic from them, and they link to newer
ones.

Link to your strongest one on your Google Play page.

Nothing wrong with having a bunch and letting the best one win.
Post by Mike Wolfson
(and have to come back to this forum begging for more views for my new one
;-) ).
We are a drop in the bucket. I'm sure you are doing more begging elsewhere.
You should beg your loyal users of the app to give it some views.

You can also get a tool like TubeToolbox, which gives you a semi automated
way to beg for more views.
Post by Mike Wolfson
I guess my current video is a bit too fancy. Hopefully it doesn't take
another 18 months for the sequel
If I left it up to me, it might be more than 18 months. But I have a guy
across the world who does them for me, and they are good enough that people
complain about too many special effects. Cheaper to have him work on one
for a month than for me to spend two days on one I will probably be
embarrassed about.

Nathan
Prashant Singh
2013-06-24 04:29:52 UTC
while we are at it I would appreciate if members of this list can provide
feedback on video we did for our app . you can find it at

http://vimeo.com/65953037
https://play.google.com/store/**apps/details?id=org.bbqdroid.**bbqscreen<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bbqdroid.bbqscreen>
Post by Mike Wolfson
I guess my current video is a bit too fancy. Hopefully it doesn't take
another 18 months for the sequel
If I left it up to me, it might be more than 18 months. But I have a guy
across the world who does them for me, and they are good enough that people
complain about too many special effects. Cheaper to have him work on one
for a month than for me to spend two days on one I will probably be
embarrassed about.
Nathan
Prashant Singh,
Co-Founder, Signals <http://thesignals.net/>
Email *:* ***@thesignals.net
Cell : +91-9910270434

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/wethesignals> |
Twitter<https://twitter.com/TeamSignal>
| Blog <http://blog.thesignals.net/>

"If someone's using a PC to demo the Next Big Thing... then it's not the
next big thing."~Russell Beattie
gjs
2013-06-25 01:36:11 UTC
Hi,

Cute, but only targeted at male audience.

Regards
TreKing
2013-06-25 01:49:55 UTC
Post by Prashant Singh
while we are at it I would appreciate if members of this list can provide
feedback on video we did for our app . you can find it at
http://vimeo.com/65953037
My first impression was to question the use of Batman music and characters.
I'm no lawyer, but that seems iffy to me.

That aside, I liked the video. It seemed well made and the narrator was
good. However, I reiterate what I said about Mike's - I expect to see more
of the actual app and its usage in the video to give me an impression of
what this app is, what it does, and how it does it. You have three concrete
examples of what the app can do, but I don't see the app demonstrating
these features. This makes me think it's all marketing and the app may not
actually deliver on those promises.

Also, I don't think the video reflects the app's theme. The video has beige
/ brown background and cartoon characters, while the app appears to have a
light-blue them and be very minimalistic. I look at one and then the other
and I have a hard time making the connection between the two.

Hope that helps.